![]() |
"I have a four year-old South
American tarantula named
Barayas Tiberius Isaac and he's a
gentleman."
|
A look into The Show Pony Store with shop owner, Shelby Isaac.
What kind of items will we find in your shop and what makes them unique?
My shop is full of geeky jewelry. I love to read and I Fangirl over many series. In my shop, I sell jewelry inspired by Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, A Song Of Ice And Fire (Game Of Thrones), The Mortal Instruments, Moulin Rouge!, and Repo! The Genetic Opera.
How long have you been making your Hunger Games and Harry Potter items and how did you get started?
I began making the HP and THG inspired items about two years ago. I started off as a buyer on Etsy, and after purchasing what was described as a $22 "intricately detailed Harry Potter potion bottle" I was stoked to receive it. Unfortunately, when it arrived, it was leaking, unmarked package, no label on the potion bottle, ad the chain was already turning. I knew that I could do a better job and sell it for a lower price, so I did. Another fun fact: I was the first seller on Etsy to offer Hunger Games inspired jewelry. The first Hunger Games inspired item on Etsy was a hand sewn pillow.
A story has to hold my attention. If I cannot lose myself in a novel or a film, it's likely that I won't be itching to design something from that fantastical universe.

Describe your creative process for jewelry making.
I read a book, I take a quote or concept, and it inspires me to craft.
Are you working on anything new that you'd like to share?
Inhabitants of Middle Earth, you're in luck! Soon you'll see Lord Of The Rings inspired jewelry. I'm also dabbling in precious metal clay since I bought my first tabletop kiln!
What do you consider your biggest accomplishment?My biggest accomplishment at this point... An actor in an independent film (shooting next month in California) asked for one of my necklaces to wear on set while they're shooting. I'm still trying to let that sink in!
What is your biggest challenge?
My biggest challenge is money! Whatever profits I make on Etsy goes right back into Etsy, either from buying supplies to try new things, or handmade clothes!
What kind of experience has running an Etsy shop been for you?
I'm a business savvy biddie! I have experience in making jewelry and experience in business/retail. I firmly believe that Etsy also helps you learn how to talk to people.
What advice would you give to new Etsy sellers?
Make what the masses want, but never sacrifice the quality of each item. Buyers will notice if you half-ass an item. They will notice if you leave a handwritten "thank you" note. Keep your feedback positive and you will always have an edge on your competition.
Students and residents of Maryland get special discounts! My fellow MD Etsy Promo Team members get a bigger and better discount, so shoot me a message before checking out if those apply to you!
Are there any other social links where readers can find you?
Through my Etsy shop's home page, you can like my shop' Facebook page and follow me on Twitter. :)Be sure to check out Shelby's other shops on Etsy, From Maryland With Love, which specializes in unique Maryland Inspired hand stamped art and jewelry and Maryland Mutts, for personalized pet ID tags and animal lover jewelry.



Awesome interview! Congratulations on all of your success. I'm sure there is a lot more ahead for you!
ReplyDelete