- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.4CgvX6jV.dpuf The Maryland Promotions TeamArtisans, Vintage and Edibles on Etsy: Dolls and Puppets and Statues; Oh My!

Friday, February 15, 2013

Dolls and Puppets and Statues; Oh My!

The art in Paranorman inspired me a lot.
 
Nick, your Art Dolls and Marionettes are stunning! How did you start creating them and where did you learn the skill?

"I have always been creative. Actually, I have always made my statues, dolls and marionettes not knowing there was a group out there for "Art Dolls". It was very cool and inspiring to see others doing the same art."

 
Your style is very unique and recognizable. Where do you get the inspiration for the macabre pieces that you create?

"I was always scared of the things in my head. They made me nervous and made me question my sanity. As my husband and I dated he made me more comfortable with bringing all my ideas and pieces to life."




If you had to choose a personal favorite, which one would it be and why is it special to you?


"My favorite piece has been "Valentine" I regret not taking great pictures of him but he was very interesting. He was a grave differ that dug up a corpse and was giving its heart to his "Valentine". He lives with a very nice lady in Georgia now."

I understand that my favorite, the Midnight Dance Art Doll, has been on tour in Canada and has generated quite a bit of interest. How did that come about and what kind of experience has that been for you?
"I had seen a call for art doll artists and sent some pictures in. They liked the two pieces and they were shortly on their way. It took three months but the finally sold.Its a great feeling when pieces are liked. I kinda feel validated, that I am making pieces that speak to people. I have been lucky enough to have pieces in Italy, Ireland, Australia and multiples in Canada and the U.S."



 
 So, we're dying to know, is your art representative of your own personality and personal space? What is Nick like at home?

"I am very much like my pieces. I like weird humor and scary movies. Its weird though, I dont like bloody and gory movies. I have odd things all throughout my house."

  
 Another personal favorite, is In Too Deep, your diarama. How did you come to branch out in this direction? Will we see more of these in your shop?
"In too deep: This was actually two different pieces. I wanted to do something with a gallow and I thought it turned out well. My friend gave me a dome so I wanted to do an enclosed piece. The head was going to be a separate doll but I thought they looked good together. Yes, there will be more pieces like this. I have one now trapped in a glass jar."


 Are you inspired by any particular artist in your work?
"I am inspired by many artists. Old stop motion films and the studio Laika in Oregon. Also, many art doll artists I find online."

 What inspires you to create a piece, what is your creative process and how long does a project generally take to complete from that moment?
"When I make a piece its normally something that has been stuck in my head. Thought of all ways to create it. It turns out as the character I thought up but it never goes the way I planned. I have to want to make the pieces. They can take a day, week or even a month."

What kind of experience has running an Etsy shop been for you and what advice to you have for new sellers?
"Etsy has opened up a lot of doors for me. Sales in other countries. Meeting new people and finding inspiration in other sellers. The best advice would be to hang in there. I've been on Etsy for 5 years and it took a while to sell consistently."

Are there any other social links where we can find you and follow your work?

"My work is on permenant display and for sale at Ukazoo books in Towson.  I need to start expanding, I just haven't yet."





4 comments:

  1. Awesome craftsmanship! Nick has great talent and creativity. I look forward to see every new creation as they come.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Thank you for sharing your work with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative work. Congratulations, and I know you will go far in this venture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Nick! It's great getting to know you a little better. I love the shot of your workspace.

    ReplyDelete