- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.4CgvX6jV.dpuf The Maryland Promotions TeamArtisans, Vintage and Edibles on Etsy: Deb Lee Creations

Friday, January 4, 2013

Deb Lee Creations

Deb's Cozy Corner where Deb Lee Creations come to life!
Meet Deb Lee, owner of DebLeeCreations and one of the leaders of the Maryland Promotions Team on Etsy.

1. Why did you decide to join the Maryland Promotions Team and become a leader?
I really didn't know anything about teams when one day I got an invitation to the MD Promo Team. I accepted it and started browsing the discussions. I saw Melissa was trying to get a team sale going and having very little responses. I offered to convo all of the team members to let them know what we were offering. As a result many more team members became active and Melissa asked me to be a team leader.  I actually told her I would be glad to help out when she needed,, but did not want to commit. A bit later, I think it was when we started planning the Craft Show she just gave me the title..LOL.. At that point I was enjoying our planning together so I accepted it. It has been great working with Melissa. She is a great Captain.

2. How did you begin crafting?
The Christmas Ornament
This was the project that started my Jewelry Explosion!
Starting back as a child I would spend hours coloring, as a teen I learn to crochet, in high school sewing, art and leather work. Then in the 70's and 80's macrame of all kinds. In the 90's I set up my own wood working shop.

3. What kinds of items will we find in your shop?
I am very fickle with my crafts. You will find jewelry, handbags and pouches, quilted place mats, painted accessories and boxes, crochet scarves and hats, as well as painted bird houses.

4. What inspires you?
I get inspired by anything that most would toss out. I love to make something out anything. I get inspired when driving to work taking in the breathtaking flowers and trees and clouds.

Doodle Pendants
Upcycled wood remnants
Sanded, Drilled and Hand Painted
Great Detail with Magnifying Glasses.

5. What has been your biggest accomplishment on Etsy?
Turning my creating into a business has been overwhelming by myself. After joining the team I found a whole new experience of camaraderie. Learning how to use social media to promote my business along with the teamwork of my teammates.

6. What has been your biggest challenge?
Learning how to use the social Media to it's fullest potential.

7. Do you have a special story you would like to share about any of your products?
A few years ago I was heading a project to make the favors for our church Christmas Coffee. I was making over 200 Ornaments which were little wood barns with the manger in it. I had to cut off the corners to make the point in the roof. This left me with 2 buckets full of little wood triangles. I just could not bare to throw them away. So I sanded one and drilled a little hole in it and then I got my magnifying glasses on and painted little details on them. I called them my doodle pendants. I loved them so much I went to town with them. I made them into bracelets and necklaces. That was the 1st piece of jewelry I ever made.


Upcycled Shoulder Bag
My new found love ... Making handbags from Jeans!
I cut out the pockets and seams, hand embroider all over
to produce this upcycled sturdy beautiful shoulder bag.
8. What advice would you give to other shop owners?
There are so many different people out there. It is so important to be able to get your creations out there for them to see them. Nowadays we have the social media literally at our finger tips.. Hit the keys!

9. Where can readers find you?
Deb LaScuola
Deb Lee Creations
www.etsy.com/shop/debleecreations
www.facebook.com/debleecreations
twitter.com/DebLeeCreations

Thank you, Deb!

No comments:

Post a Comment