| "Beading for me used to be a hobby. Now it's a passion." |
What kind of items will we find in your shop and what makes them unique?
I specialize in beaded jewelry, but you will also find beaded bookmarks and housewares. Everything in my shop is uniquely handmade by me. I create the style of each piece and put it together. I like the personal touch of custom orders, so those are always encouraged too.
I understand that your shop name has special meaning for you. Would you care to share a little about that with us?
In 2010 my best friend passed away. We knew each other since pre-school and always stayed in touch. In our adult life we developed a passion for beading, so in 2011 my Etsy shop was opened in her memory. We often drove on Stringtown Road together and since stringing is the main technique I use it just felt right to name my shop StringtownBeads.
I have loved crafting in general since I was in elementary school. I began beading as a hobby in 2007. Although I’ve taken a few beading classes, I am mostly self-taught. I learn by reading, looking at pictures, watching videos, and experimenting on my own.
What inspires you?
I am very inspired by different combinations of colors. The colors associated with different holidays and the colors found in nature are especially inspiring. Sometimes I randomly see a combination of colors I like and I create a piece based on that. One of the reasons I love creating custom orders is because they sometimes introduces me to a new combination of colors or style that I might not have thought of myself.
Describe your creative process.
When I find a combination of colors I like I find those colors in my bead collection and I put them out on my craft desk. I put some of the beads on my bead palette and I sometimes mix the colors to see how they would look. I then create the layout for the piece I want to make. I like to experiment with different patterns on the bead palette before I decide on the final piece. Once the layout is done I put it all together.
What do you consider your greatest accomplishment?
My greatest accomplishment was opening my shop because it happened after what was the most difficult year of my life. My goal was to open it exactly one year after Stephanie passed away. I met that goal with just ten minutes to spare! It symbolized a new beginning for me, and it has opened the door to more great accomplishments.
Your biggest challenge?
My biggest challenge is going through everything, especially my Etsy business, without Stephanie physically here with me. We had a once in a lifetime kind of friendship and not a day goes by when I don’t think about her and miss her. I overcome this by allowing her to inspire me in other ways.
Is there a special story you'd like to share with us about one of your pieces?
My medical bracelet attachments are especially meaningful to me. I got tired of wearing the same medical bracelet every day, so I decided to begin creating different kinds of interchangeable ones for myself. Now I sell them in my shop. “Castle in the Sky” is especially meaningful to me because it reminds me that dreams don’t just happen. If we want our dreams to come true we have to build the foundation for them. In my shop I offer one “Castle in the Sky” bracelet and one “Castle in the Sky” medical bracelet attachment.
What kind of experience has running an Etsy shop been for you?
Running an Etsy shop has been personally rewarding. It allows me to do what I love – beading, and share this passion with others. Like anything, there are ups and downs, but overall it has been a very positive experience.
What advice would you give to new Etsy sellers?
Join a team and actively participate! There are a lot of Etsy teams out there. Find at least one that is suitable for you and participate in it. As an Etsy seller you cannot beat the support you will get from an Etsy team. It’s one of the best ways to grow your business.
You're a Team Leader on The Maryland Promotions team. How did that come about and what kind of experience has it been for you, belonging to a team?
Our team captain sent me an invitation to join The Maryland Promotions Team in August 2012. I saw this as a way to improve my business and connect with like-minded people who are local. I began to actively participate when we had our first team sale. Since then I have been very active on the team. Not only did I begin to see the benefits of being on a strong team, but I truly enjoy it. After seeing how active and supportive I was on the team our captain asked me to become a team leader. I enthusiastically said, “Yes!”
Are there any special promotions going on in your shop that we should know about?
We will be having a team Valentine’s Day sale soon! Several shops on our team will be participating in this sale. I will be offering 14% off everything in my shop. Stay tuned for details! In addition to this free shipping is offered for everything in my shop.
Are there any other social links where readers can find you?
• www.etsy.com/shop/stringtownbeads
• www.facebook.com/stringtownbeads
• http://twitter.com/stringtownbeads
• http://pinterest.com/stringtownbeads/
• http://www.atstringtown.blogspot.com/
Great interview! So nice to get to know you a little better, Meezan.
ReplyDeleteThank you Linda, and thank you for the feature, Melissa!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear your story of opening shop. Great jewelry!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Cindy!
Delete