Meet Laura from Rusbelt Treasures!
What kind of items will we find in your shop and what makes them unique?
I
really do try hard to focus primarily on unique items. At first I would
see objects and think "Oh everyone is selling these I have to get one
too," but then I realized 1. It's harder to sell something that everyone
else is selling and 2. The items that sell are the ones I personally
like the best. Items found in Rustbelt Treasures were initially going
to be focused toward the Industrial Chic and Urban Rustic design styles.
But as I found other objects, I wanted to share them also, so the style
has become more of an Eclectic Vintage theme.
I
was fortunate to find a whole cache of Vintage Industrial Wood Foundry
Patterns. These wood molds, were handmade by the machinists in at the
factory. Their shapes mimic the parts needed to run the factory's
machines. These are "Negative molds", meaning that they were used to
form the shapes needed within a sand cast, the hot iron was then poured
into that cast to produce the needed parts. The wood molds are my
favorite items to work with, the wood grain is so beautiful and each one
is so unique in shape, size, and detail. I always think of the men that
carved and designed these, how much pride they put into the quality of
their work. I'm sure they do not think of themselves as artists but they
certainly were. I have these all over my home, on shelves, on the walls
etc.
What is the meaning behind the name of your shop?
With the primary focus of the shop being Vintage Industrial, and the large amount of Industrial foundry molds I wanted the name to represent the history of the steel mills and the factories in my region. I now live in Baltimore, which has a history of steel factories as well as many other types of production, clothing, shoes, etc. Therefore, Baltimore, is included in the Rustbelt region of American, along with Pittsburgh, Ohio, and Michigan.
Recently, Bethlehem Steel, was closed for good, the current owner has claimed bankrupcy, and the Steel workers in Baltimore are out of work. This past Christmas, the star at the top of the tower at Bethlehem Steel was lit for the last time.
I
have always loved unique items. My parents, now retired, go to auctions
all the time, and are always bringing me antiques and what not.
My fiance and I also frequently go to flea markets, yard sale, etc. I
began to build a bit of a stock pile.
But
I think what truly started me on the shop was when I first saw the
Industrial Chic style and then was able to acquire the wood molds. I
researched how to put a shop on Etsy for months (like 8!) to make sure I
had the right name, avatar pic, etc. and finally took
the leap on February 2, 2012. I still get soooo excited when I make a
sale! Every sale is as thrilling as the first. The first anniversary is
right around the corner. Good timing for this interview.
What inspires you to select one piece over another?
To
choose one item over another, I think now depends on its uniqueness, how
much I like it, and if I take a picture how it will look upcycled or
repurposed. I always have future ideas for items, but I just pick the
ones I have the skills to improve. I wouldn't say that I restore them
because I am a long way from being that skilled, but I learn something
new every time!
Describe your process for restoring items. How do you decide what "flaws" are natural and should be left and what to repair?
I
would say I mostly "renew" items more so than restore them. I clean
of the years of grit, grime, cobwebs, barn stuff, etc and then decide
if they need sanding, grinding, staining, and sealing or waxing.
How
I decide what goes and stays, is a tumble of the dice, mostly by how it
looks and functions. I really try hard to make as little changes as
possible. I once had a wood drawer from an old factory that was used to
keep tools and parts, that was really banged up but the structure was
solid. So mostly I sanded it to soften the corners and removed the
splinters, I made it indoor friendly, lol. I then stained it and waxed
it. Then of course I loved it and didn't want to sell it!
What do you consider your biggest accomplishment? Your biggest challenge?
Aside
from opening the shop itself, my 2 biggest accomplishments so far have
been 1, shipping large items domestically and internationally and 2.
Facebook! I know most people have been on it so long it is second
nature to them and this seems silly, but really I did not want to be
involved! I did so for my shop and now I'm glad. I am still learning
about both shipping and Facebook, everyday. They will both continue to
be a challenge for me for quite a while I'm sure! I did successfully
ship a large metal industrial stool to Australia. The buyers were very
happy with their purchase.
I am also
thrilled when someone purchases an item that I have put a lot of effort
into. Whether I had painted it or just spent quite a bit of time
cleaning it, when it is an item that I am personally proud of how it
turned out, it's great when someone else does too!
Is there anything you're currently working on that you would like to share?
I
have been working on a console table. I found an old wood tool box, long
and narrow, made of wood. It is handcrafted and the wood is so
beautiful once it is sanded and waxed. My handyman (lol, fiance) has
welded reclaimed iron for a base, which will be painted in a flat black.
I really think the storage it offers as well as the table surface will
make it a more unique item. I have been working on this for some time,
as I need to have distraction-free time to put in the effort it
deserves. I think I will have a really hard time letting this one go as
it is my first.
Running an Etsy shop has been an
absolutely positive experience. Etsy has such a welcoming and friendly
atmosphere, on the teams, forums, other sellers, buyers and on Facebook.
Everyone has been encouraging, provided mentoring, and friendly. Any
time I feel that maybe this is crazy and not for me, I would get a sale
or just a convo from a buyer or another vintage seller that really lifts
my spirits!
I have also learned alot about the
items that I have acquired or am selling, and about the upcycling and
repurposing of those items.
What advice would you give to new Etsy sellers?
First, would be to read the Seller's Handbook, it is an excellent resource, and by following it you will be more successful.
Two, join a positive focused team,
there are some forums which seem to capture some of the negative
aspects, stay away from those, they will always be that way. Find a team
which helps you learn, and has similar goals as yours.
Are there any special promotions going on in your shop that we should know about?
Currently having a sale: 10% off all items at Rustbelt Treasures and at my second shop Viki's Variety Craft Supply and Destash.
Just a quick background on the Viki
shop: My seventeen y/o niece just graduated high school today, January
24, 2013, six months ahead of her class! I am so proud of her, she is
really quite a smart cookie. She was raised by a single mom, and they
have had their share of challenges. She plans to go to Cortland college,
and wants to major in Elementary Education, to become a teacher. I
started this shop to raise money for her college education, and to clean
out the over abundance of craft supplies that I have accumulated over
the years. 100% of the proceeds from the Viki shop will go toward her
education.
Rustbelt Treasures



Great interview! What talent she has!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed getting to know Laura better. I can see there is a lot of tender loving care that goes into the vintage items. Not just taking some old dusty banged up item and putting it out there to sell. I have seen her items in person at the craft fair in Nov. and they are truly wonderful! Fantastic interview.
ReplyDeleteDeb